<

Isn't Life Terrible

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Unforgettable TV Show No One Remembers: The Whistling Wizard

I have a vague memory of Bil Baird's early 50's TV show"The Whistling Wizard."I do not recall, however, a topical component of that show, but it sure looks like there was one, judging from the three puppets of Estes Kefauver, Harry Truman, and Dwight Eisenhower that were included in the March 29, 1953 show (That's 11 am on a Saturday; Senator Bob Taft was also represented by a puppet alter-ego, but his puppet was late to the studio that day). Most of what I can remember about the show came back to me when I had a look at The Little Golden Book below, which features the recurring characters and their setting - The Land Of Beyond. In this story at least, The Land Of Beyond has no visiting politicians.

It's pretty standard boy-and-his-horse with an elf stuff. I guess some of Bil Baird's characters were just a little too hot for the LGB: Check out the photo below.
One Bil Baird production I remember clearly was a public service spot for hay fever. It seemed to be the only PSA anybody at the TV station I was watching could ever get threaded up on the telecine. The one Bil Baird sequence most people seem to know is the "Lonely Goatherd" scene in "The Sound Of Music."

The best Bil Baird... excuse me, Bil and Cora Baird clip I could find is a great commercial for Wild Root Cream Oil, Charlie... and it used to be a YouTube link here, but the video was taken down some time ago.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • While working for Bil in the mid-1970s at the off-Broadway sized theater he owned in Greenwich Village, he told me that he had as many as five shows on the air simultaneously in the 50s. Some of these were 15 minute shows; others were longer. The shows that I myself remember from my youth besides the Wizard were Slugger Ryan - a piano player not unlike Hoagy Charmichael -- and Charlemagne the Lion. He also did "specials" on TV, such as a full length version of Peter and the Wolf; and did numerous guest appearances on other shows. Check out Bil's book "The Art of the Puppet" for more.

    By Blogger Steve, At October 10, 2007 at 10:46 PM  

  • Remember the commericals of Champy the Lion for Wheaties cereal?
    You can SEE the actual commercial advertising for these two premium puppets at http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2007_03_01.html

    and you can see a rare pair of the the puppets at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400003621788&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

    Really great memories there

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 24, 2008 at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home