<

Isn't Life Terrible

Friday, October 5, 2007

Smiles of Myles

See that 45?

That's not just an ordinary copy of "Sing On Baby" by Meg Myles.

That's Meg Myles's personal copy of "Sing On Baby" by Meg Myles.

A while ago, a friend of mine said that he had met Meg in New York City. He's a musician, and she's a musician, but it's a just a coincidence that they met - they both support animal rescue programs in NYC. But somehow they drift into a discussion of music, and Meg mentions that she would love to have CD copies of some of her old records. My friend asked me if I could find some time to do the transfers, clean up the sound as best as possible, and make a couple of CD's. I said sure, why not?

The records arrive. Not just 45's. She recorded sides for Capitol, and did an album for Mercury.

I was only expecting a few old acetates, and here I'm looking at major label releases. Flip the cover over; liner notes by... Johnny Carson? Album produced by... Quincy Jones? This is getting interesting, so I go looking for information about Meg on the Internet.

And find that she was a popular pin-up in the 1950's.

And a movie star. I made CD replicas of her albums, with labels, covers and all... and added the 45's as bonus tracks. I wonder how many people in her block on the Upper West Side know about her illustrious past?

Oh! By the way... could she sing? You bet she could. Classy cabaret all the way.

Link

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home